I’ve been really enjoying this meme on Instagram… the poster writes 20 things about themselves! I’ve learned so many fun things about the people I follow!
But I can’t imagine typing that much on my phone, so I figured I’d do it the old fashioned way!
Here are 20 things about me! (in no particular order)
1. I make all of our house’s yogurt and bread from scratch.
2. I have vasovagal syncope, which means that I can faint as a response to pain. It’s the same mechanism that makes folks faint if they see blood or needles, but that doesn’t happen to me.
3. I absolutely love sports. I adore American football, cricket, baseball (we have season tickets to the Twins!), marathon running and cycling. I’m watching the Tour de France as I write this! Fortunately, my hubby is also a sports fiend.
4. I’m immune to caffeine. Seriously, I can drink coffee immediately before bed or go weeks without it at all… it just doesn’t make a difference. It’s probably because my grandparents started giving me my ‘motivation’ when I was 6 years old.
5. I have a Ph.D., but I’ve never used it for anything useful.
6. One of my pet peeves is when someone insists on being called ‘doctor’. If we’re going to be friends, then I’m going to like you for who you are. I don’t want to be told your resume. Some of the awesome-est people I know didn’t finish high school.
7. My engagement ring it moissannite. It’s a gemstone that’s nearly as hard as a diamond, but not anywhere close to as expensive!
8. I changed my name when I got married, but I still use my maiden name for business purposes.
9. My hubby is Australian. He feels pretty indifferent about vegemite, but he loves Tim Tams and cricket.
10. I’ve lived in 4 states in 5 years: Maryland, Connecticut, New York (upstate) and now Minnesota.
11. I had my first ever manicure this year (at 31 years old!) for my sister-in-law’s wedding. I’ve since had my second!
12. I typically travel out of state (or country) 1-2 times a month. 2014 has included: Australia (twice), Mexico, California, Denver, DC, Maryland, Virginia, Wisconsin, Georgia, Colorado, Indiana, Iowa and Kansas. South Dakota, Wyoming, Illinois, Ohio, Califoria (again) and Connecticut are on the schedule for the next 3 months.
13. My phone is on a pay-by-minute plan. I use it very infrequently and it’s much cheaper than a monthly plan!
14. I learned to knit when I applied for a job at a yarn store. My first project was a Noni felted bag.
15. I use hankies (instead of tissues) and cloths (in place of paper towels). I haven’t bought paper towels in 5 years.
16. I love trying new foods. The list of weird things I’ve eaten is too long to list, but highlights include: dog, lamb brains, pine needle soda, pig ears and reindeer. I also love raw meat!
17. My perfect day includes being in bed by 9pm. I can only make it past 10pm with the help of a mid-day nap.
18. I run nearly every day, and I wear barefoot running shoes. I highly recommend ‘Born to Run’ (book) to anyone who will listen!
19. My hubby is a professor, which means he works (at minimum) 12 hour days during the semester (weekends often included!). My position is often referred to as ‘academic widow’!
20. My personal yarn stash is surprisingly small. It can fit comfortably in 2 Rubbermaid containers… I’m just not a stasher!