It’s gift-giving time! And I LOVE giving books as presents!
So I’ve compiled a list of Children’s books that contain knitting (or spinning or weaving or yarn… but it’s mostly knitting)! Not all of these books is about knitting, but yarn gets either a mention or an illustrated appearance!
This post contains affiliate links to amazon.
Books for Small Children (to 3 years)
- Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown and Clement Hurd
- Penguin in Love, Penguin and Pinecone by Salina Yoon (and many more Penguin books!)
- Last Stop on Market Street by Matt de la Peña
- Squid and Octopus, Friends for Always by Tao Nyeu
- Llama Llama and the Bully Goat by Anna Dewdney
- The Mitten and The Hat by Jan Brett
- Don’t Worry Hugless Douglas! by David Melling
- Stanley the Amazing Knitting Cat by Emily MacKenzie
- Knitty Kitty by David Elliott
- Noodle’s Knitting by Sheryl Webster
- Hank and Gracie Save the Day by Stacy Klaus
Books for Bigger Children (4 – 8 years)
- Henry’s Hat, Phoebe’s Sweater, and Freddie’s Blanket by Joanna Johnson
- Milo Armadillo by Jan Fearnley
- Edmund Unravels by Andrew Kolb
- The Truly Horrible Sweater… That Grandma Knit by Debbie Macomber & Mary Lou Carney
- Extra Yarn by Matt Barnett
- Woolbur by Leslie Helakoski
- Knitting Nell by Julie Jersild Roth
- The Mitten String by Jennifer Rosner
- Kiki’s Hats by Warren Hanson
- The Cloud Spinner by Michael Catchpool
- Shall I Knit You a Hat? by Kate Klise
- Annie and the Swiss Cheese Scarf by Alana Dakos
- Ned the Knitting Pirate by Diana Murray
- A Hat for Mrs. Goldman: a Story about Knitting and Love by Michelle Edwards
- Leave Me Alone! by Very Brosgol
- Charlie Needs a Cloak by Tomie dePaola
- Martha Moth Makes Socks by Cambria Evans
- Zadie and Plain Vanilla, the Rainbow Alpaca, Save Christmas by Barbara Blount Ziek
I’m not the first one to put together a list of books of children’s books featuring knitting! Check out these other lists!
- Best Knitted-Themed Books for Kids by Knitted Bliss
- Knitting in Kid’s Books on Goodreads
- Knitting References in Books by Wool Works (not only Children’s books)
Any I’ve left out? What’s your fave?