I spend most of my day paying attention to what’s happening in the yarn world. Finding out about new products. Spotting great new tutorials in knitting and crocheting. Petting great yarns.
I often share these findings on twitter, instagram, Ravelry, facebook, Periscope, or… wait, are you tired yet?
You see, I think we’re all suffering from information overload. There are A MILLION different places to get information. And since I’m already spending my day reading it all, how about I compile a list of some amazing things for you? So you don’t have to go digging around everywhere? Sound like a plan?
If you’re an industry professional, then Yarn Market News is your place to go. And The Craft Industry Alliance is well worth the subscription price. But this little newsletter is for normal (i.e. non-professional) folks who like yarn. And sometimes other crafts.
We’ll see how it goes! As always, this blog is my biggest work-in-progress, so I appreciate any feedback! I picture this newsletter as the natural next step for this blog. I’ve already made oodles of tutorials, and nowadays, thousands of crafters are creating great content. I wrote a couple years ago about how blogging has changed since I started. And it’s still changing. Now it’s time for me to use my expertise to cultivate great content for you.
World Events: Brexit
In case you haven’t turned on the news, the UK voted to leave the EU, sending the British currency tumbling. The silver lining is that if you’re outside of the UK, it’s like an automatic 10% discount on anything British! Now is the time to shop for British indie patterns on Ravelry. I took the chance to purchase a few goodies from Laura Howard’s Sample Sale on Instagram.
- The AmiAlong ends July 3rd. A number of great amigurumi designers are involved: use the code AMIALONG for 25% off all participating patterns (including mine!)
- The Ravellenic Games preparation is underway! If you don’t have a team yet, feel free to join ours!
- Stitches Midwest is August 4-7th! Did you see my pic for my new Crocodile Stitch class?
- CGOA (Crochet Guild of America)’s show is July 13-16th in North Charleston, SC. Will you be there?
Great Tutorials and Links
- Stephanie from SpaceCadet Yarn teaches you how to read your hand-dyed yarn color repeats
- I’m in this facebook group for people who love 9″ circulars. Is that you? Check it out! And my post on how to use 9″ circulars for any pattern.
- Moogly posted a pattern for a crochet terrarium. And I have a terrarium Pinterest board!
Products and Reviews
What are you up to? I’m knitting a Vitamin D in Euroflax linen in a gorgeous turquoise. Yum.
Blue is totally trending. I even started a new aqua Pinterest board.
- Knitty wrote a great TNNA wrap-up… and featured my yarn! Squee!
- I posted notes about my new Kollage Square Needle Interchangeable set on Instagram. Have you used square needles?
- The Knitters Toolbox App is now available and looks amazing!
- These bags from The Sexy Knitter crack me up!
More great reading
- I really appreciate Abby Glassenberg of While She Naps’s post on how much time you should spend on your business. Totally right and honest, as always.
- Craftsy recommends a vacation packing list… great for summer trips! You might also want to read my 7 tips for planning travel knitting and crochet projects.
- Sew Mama Sew shared an amazing rainbow quilt up for auction for a great cause. She also shared a free rainbow hearts quilt block pattern and information about the #QuiltsForPulse Charity Quilt Drive.
Let me hear from you!
I hope you have a fantastic 4th of July! I wrote on Instagram about a big goal I have, and I’ve gotten so many comments! What’s a big goal for you?
Please do tell me what you think about this format!